Press "Enter" to skip to content

Ask a Pro

Ask a Pro Q&A – When It Rains, It Pours: Exploring title coverage for runoff

When a challenge arises, insurance should be there to help. Learn the ins and outs of title insurance to deal with water runoff from outdoor pro Carson Arthur.

Question: A house was built on the property behind me. The land had been raised so that the ground around the house is now higher than mine. Whenever it rains, the water from the property behind me washes into my yard and causes a river each time. Does title insurance cover this?

Unfortunately, it does not. Title insurance only covers liens on a property from debtors to the former owners. The easiest solution is to create a raised planter along the shared property line. By raising the soil, the water should stop running into your yard!

-Carson Arthur